Summer sale! Save 50% on access to our entire library of courses.Join here →
Laravel

Linux Laravel Dev Set Up (non sail)

I currently use SAIL for development. I like it but I have a few issues. I do most of my dev on a laptop and use PHP storm. I think my laptop is struggling a little, though it is not awful - just slow set up and slow startup, indexing etc. I also can't get tailwind code completion working in phpstorm via SAIL and have a few issues with testing.

Just curious what setups other's use? Anything you love or hate about them also?

vince42524
vince42524
Haz
Haz

There’s a Valet fork for Linux that you could check out. I haven’t tried it myself.

Another option would be to use php artisan serve from the CLI. You will have to manually setup vhosts and SSLs if you want to leverage those.

My guess is that Laravel Herd will eventually come to Linux. It’s just a matter of time. They just released the Windows version.

Those are the main options that I can think of right now. There are probably other third party solutions available as well.

vince42524
vince42524

Thx @Haz :)

Yep, maybe I'll take a look at Valet and see if I can test it out on Ubuntu. I really like SAIL since it does everything and there is next to zero config. Not sure if I fancy manually doing x,y and z.

I have a linux workstation that runs SAIL and phpstorm without a problem, but I am on the laptop more.

I was considering a mac mini - but I don't really want the expense and a macbook is not something I'd want to spend out on.